::  
  History of Gondal
  Orchard Palace
  Riverside Palace
  Naulakha Palace
  Vintage & Classic Car Collection
  Sightseeing
  Accommodation
  Tariff
  Gallops
  Autumn
  Convention
  Banquet
  Rejuvenation
  Special Offers
HISTORY OF GONDAL
The 11-gun salute princely state of Gondal spanned an area of about 1000 sq miles comprising four towns and more than 175 villages. The state was ruled by a dynasty of the Krishna-vanshi Jadeja Rajput clan from Thakur Shri Kumboji in the 1600s.

It was modernised by His Highness Thakore Shri Sagramji who ruled from 1851 to 1869 and became a first-class princely state in 1887 after His Highness Maharaja Bhagwat Sinhji introduced wide-ranging economic and social reforms. Under HH Bhagwat Sinhji, the state became distinguished for its number of educational and public institutions, and for possessing infrastructure that did not exist even in larger princely states or in areas under direct British rule.

HH Bhagwat Sinhji made girl child education free and compulsory, abolished 40 dues including rates, taxes, customs, octroi and export duties,started a travelling dispensary, an asylum for the maintenance of the poor and a hospital, introduced wide roads, sanitary drainage and underground electricity supplies in Gondal town, and built excellent road and irrigation networks across the state of Gondal connecting its villages and towns. HH Bhagwat Sinhji is also considered one of the pioneers of the railway industry in Saurashtra. 

After he passed away in 1944, HH Bhagwat Sinhji's son, HH Bhojrajji succeeded him.The present owner of the heritage hotels of Gondal, JYOTENDRASINHJI VIKRAMSINHJI SAHIB, is the grandson of HH Bhojrajji.

 
 
Copyright © 2011 Gondal Palace. All Rights Reserved.
Maintained by NitaMicrotek